Sunday, July 17, 2016

Taco News Monthly

Just so no one gets too excited, this will probably not be a monthly feature; ie, I'm promising nothing now that the months run away like Wild Turkey over the gills... however, you never know. Sad to see the closing of La Perla (734 S. 5th St.) which has been around since before I realized Milwaukee wasn't a fictional construct; sorry I didn't make it over yesterday for the free tequila, but then, no two words ever spelled trouble more surely than "free tequila."

Because: 1) it's summer, 2) the roads are being torn out and being replaced by... more roads, 3) I don't have a driver's license, anyway, 4) I don't have a car, either, 5) I can't get a date (who has a car), not even for a taco date, and 6) I'm a total nerd who likes structured projects: I am embarking on an odyssey to systematically explore the Milwaukee taco landscape on foot, based on strict geographical proximity from my home in Stately Wayne Manor on the East Side. (Please note: just because I live in Stately Wayne Manor, which is, yes, a mansion, doesn't mean I have money to burn, and in fact, due to some unsound investments and even less sound work habits, am only able to continue to exist in my opulent home because of a grandfather clause too confusing to really understand, along with the relentlessness of a shark, and a lust for tacos that is unparalleled metaphorically. But it doesn't mean I have bottomless pockets, or can hire a chauffeur, afford Uber, or lend you money.)

So, what this is: I'm visiting, once a week or so, any place that will make a taco, one after another, in a strict order based on the distance from my home, Stately Wayne Manor (and if you think you might be the first one to make jokes about "The Batcave" or "Alfred the Butler," rest assured, you aren't). Anyway, I have already hit the first spot, which was only a handful of blocks away, review coming up! And by the time I reach the site of the now gone La Perla, the Margarita vomit will have dried, and I'll humbly pay my respects.

No comments:

Post a Comment