Friday, June 23, 2017

First Watch - Mequon, Wisconsin

First Watch "The Daytime Cafe" (as opposed to... what?) is a small chain restaurant - I say small because I don't think there are that many - but they're not all local - some are in other states. Anyway, this one is pretty far north, but still biking distance from Milwaukee, so I'm including it. It's in a shopping center on N. Port Washington Road, near Mequon Rd. and I-43 - which is the kind of suburban service asshole of the world location you'd expect to find nothing to eat besides the uninspiring usual. Actual address is: 11032 N Port Washington Rd, Mequon, WI 53092, and they're open, last I checked, seven days, but on the early side, 7AM until 2:30PM - so for your early risers! When you see it looking all generic and boring in this shopping plaza you might either cringe or just not notice it - so in that sense this place is a real find, because I've eaten here a couple of times and the food was exceptional each time. It also feels much more like the classic kind of "family restaurant" environment (which, with the demise of diners, is the best you can hope for, many places) than a chain restaurant.


As far as I'm concerned a taco is always a welcome sight (but not for long, unless my stomach has eyes)! On this rainy morning I could not be any happier eating breakfast tacos with egg and chorizo with generous avocado and a side of decent black beans. I was just looking at their website for the exact name of this dish and the price, but I found their website confusing and maddening. Why do restaurants traditionally have such terrible websites? I think this is changing, now, hopefully, but it's driven me nuts for years. What is so hard about keeping your website up to date, and even more important, clearly and prominently displaying the address and hours of operation? Well, you know - restaurants - it's often quite a mystery what goes on behind those closed doors (and often the open ones)! The address and hours of operation I've listed, above, are taken from Yelp - so hopefully those were posted by someone anal about accuracy (as opposed to anal about service). The service at the First Watch, by the way, has been, on my few visits, top-notch.

No comments:

Post a Comment