Saturday, August 19, 2017

Los Paisa

I know that it's ridiculous for me to review a place I've already reviewed when there are 200 Mexican restaurants in the Milwaukee area I haven't even eaten at yet, but until I get my funding and can buy a car I'm going to be limited somewhat by geography, not to mention circumstances. I'm eventually going to return to places I like, anyway, and if I have something else to say about a restaurant, why not? Los Paisa is technically in Bayside (600 W. Brown Deer Rd.), but it's one of my favorite places to eat, as they have a kind of eclectic and varied menu. 


On this visit I tried a vegetable enchilada with white corn-based sauce, which was delicious and very different than the usual enchilada. I want to try everything on their menu, eventually. My original idea about picking one Mexican dish as a kind of standard and getting that in each place I visit, that's kind of a dumb idea. I mean, it's an OK idea, kind of a fun notion, but realistically, each place has things they specialize in and are sometimes known for, and it only makes sense to try what looks most special, rather than limiting myself to avocado tacos, only. 


Another odd thing about Los Paisa is that it's in a strange, chateau-style house, and there is a bar in he basement. The one that used to be there seems to have closed or changed its name, and now there is something that seems more Tequila oriented, anyway, though it's going to be like never by the time I ever get around to going to a bar in the evening in Bayside. But that's just another wrinkle in the quirkiness of this place, along with the Mexican folk art decor. Also, the men's room is fantastic - it's warm, cheery, well-ventilated with a window, painted red, and decorated with paintings of Mexican wrestlers. This is the kind of thing that really makes my day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment