Friday, June 24, 2016

Mad Rooster Cafe

I don't know if it means anything that two of my favorite restaurants in Milwaukee are called Happy Chicken and Mad Rooster. I'll try not to think about it. I've passed by this place for awhile and ignored it; in the town I grew up there was a local fastfood place called the Red Barn that was inferior to even McDonald's, and ever since I've discriminated against any restaurant with a farm theme. But don't let the whimsical decor keep you away, everything about this place is legitimate. Everyone knows (or should know) that the best breakfast is a Mexican breakfast, and on my first visit here I settled on breakfast tacos (and it was admittedly my second breakfast of the day) which came with (unexpectedly, but welcome) a side of potatoes—all in all, way too much food, and I ate it ALL out of pure lust for deliciousness.


I read that the Mad Rooster Cafe was opened by Andreas Bouraxis, whose father owned Paul's Omega on S. 27th, which was at one time, for me, the epicenter of the family restaurant universe, and I find this to be no coincidence. This place seems to be getting Omega-level crowds, and based on the quality of food, and value, and overall experience on just one visit, I expect that to increase, so pick your time to visit with due common sense. The location, while close to the ballpark, smack in the middle, as it is in factory, Walmart, chain restaurant, Hell-level traffic hell, might make you feel like you've arrived in the asshole of the asshole of America, but since you're there, at least it's a short jump to the Cermak grocery store, worth a visit, especially for the fresh tortillas, made while you observe, and still warm. Perhaps a bicycle wizard could contribute a suitable route to the restaurant from the nearby Hank Aaron Trail. I'll be back there, any chance I get, as I'd like to try the rest of the menu.


No comments:

Post a Comment